- October Meeting: CREATIVITY: The Next Step in Making Photographs, not Taking Snapshots with John Ares
- October 5, 2010 7:00 pm
- October 5, 2010 10:00 pm
- January 16, 2012
- Arctica Bar & Grill
384 3rd Ave (27th & 28th st), New York, NY, United States
At our October meeting join us with NYUPS member John Ares who will be giving a seminar on Creativity. This seminar will examine the many aspects of photographic creativity beyond the mechanical and megapixels. It leans heavily on the work of Ned Hermann, Galen Rowell and Henri Cartier-Bresson.
Topics will include:
· The Psychology and Science of Seeing, based on Myers-Briggs and the Hermann Institute Whole Brain Model. Photographers have different mental preferences and shoot accordingly.
· Developing a Style, a personal vision or world view through emotional involvement with your subject.
· The Decisive Moment and the Art of Seeing. Seeing is both a Science and an Art. This examines the concept articulated by Henri Cartier-Bresson that any event has a leadup and one culminating moment that needs to be recognized.
· Choosing subjects that are Mature or are still new to viewers. How you shoot them should be different. This also determines your development of a shot list.
· Steps in Creative Process. Knowing that there are several stepwise processes can help you become more creative or unblock a creative slump.
· Developing options for your work after the dive. Depending on what your outcome is, you may shoot differently if your intent are high resolution prints for your wall, low res illustrations for a blog or getting published.
· A Resource list will be provided for further exploration.
· Here is a abridged version of John's program you can print out CREATIVITYAres4xSlides.pdf
John Ares Biography
Trained as a Biologist/ Marine Food Scientist, and previously careered as a Corporate Trainer, Documenter, & Project Manager, John is a uniquely versatile photographer. He has a number of specialties including Underwater, Nature, Travel, Lifestyle and Fine Art.
He is a member of the Stock Artists Alliance and the New York Underwater Photographer Society He is a 30 year member of the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) and was a trainer of SCUBA Instructors and taught Photoshop, Lightroom and Underwater Photography courses.
John is a regular presenter at the Beneath The Sea Expo at the Meadowlands, contributor to DivePhotoGuide.com and a member of the Stock Artists Alliance and National Association of Photoshop Professional.
He writes a blog on photography available through his studio home page at www.JohnAres.com John has written White Papers on Workflow and Backup procedures. The latest development is the launch of a line of T-shirts coming at the end of September. Stock photos and prints are also available for sale through the home page.
He has traveled with his camera to many underwater destinations around the globe: Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Thailand, Fiji, Palau, Truk Lagoon, Maldives, Cocos Island Costa Rica, La Paz Mexico, Hawaii, Silver Banks, Cayman Islands, Saba / St Kitts, Bonaire, Belize, Roatan, The Bahamas, and other Caribbean destinations as well as North America.
A former studio commercial photographer, his client list includes legal photography for F. Lee Bailey Associates and won contests sponsored by the American Photographer Magazine. He was an Associate Editor and Photographer for Seafood America Magazine.
As always, the admission to the event is free, but we ask that you please RSVP to rsvp@NYUPS.org.
We look forward to seeing you and sharing food and drink at Arctica Bar & Grill!!